An investigation started after 23 year old Justus Booze was killed after a wood chipper tugged him into the machine as the young man worked for Countryside Tree Service at a job site in Guilderland in May. It turned out his first day at work.
OSHA states Booze as well as other co-workers was exposed by Tony Watson, his employer, to the hazards of getting grabbed in the machine’s revolving parts as well as failed to train these people in the safe operation of wood chippers.
New York tree service is struggling with in excess of $140,000 in charges after the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) claims it neglected to provide safety training and also ensure safe operating procedures.
OSHA: Citations and Notification of Penalty
- The employer did not provide training to each employee who is required by this section to use personal protective equipment.
- The employee did not ensure that each affected employee uses appropriate eye or face protection when exposed to eye or face hazards from flying particles, molten metal, liquid chemicals, acids or caustic liquids, chemical gases or vapors, or potentially injurious light radiation.
- Full citations can be read here…
OSHA, says wood chippers are the very dangerous machines found in the tree service industry. Since 2011, workers have sustained a six-fold rise in the volume of amputations. From 1996 to 2005, 39 staff died in wood chipper incidents.